logo 1
logo 2

 HomeConditionsMessage BoardArticlesReportsGuide ServicesTackle ShopsRetailMD RegulationsPhoto Gallery

Offshore Fishing -Ocean City, MD

I awoke at 1:45 am Saturday morning high on excitement and ready to fish. The only obstacle standing between myself and The Rambler was the two and a half hour drive to Ocean City. I arrived at the dock at 4:00 am having made the trip in record time. The air was cool and the starless sky cast off not a single glimmer of light. Peace and tranquility reigned in the morning air as I decided to take advantage of the serenity and take a nap on the dock before my friends arrived (late, of course). I was awakened by The Rambler’s Captain Johnny, a salty skipper who lived and breathed the sea. He and First Mate Mark were preparing The Rambler, a fifty foot Custom Express with twin 750 horsepower v 8 diesel engines, for our voyage. The rest of the guys arrived a little after 5:30. Captain Johnny and Mark warned us of an approaching storm, predicting waves of seven feet in the afternoon. Being real men, we were unwavering in our desire to hunt out the great monsters of the sea.

The sun was peeking out of the hazy sky as we boarded The Rambler, our heads filled with the dream of pulling in a large white marlin. The sixty-five mile trip out into the Atlantic took two and a half hours. I decided to rest up with yet another nap. While sleeping soundly, the others drew cards to see the catching order of the day. Surprise, surprise, the sleeping angler drew last! Once out to sea and above the Washington Canyon, I awoke to beautiful blue skies and very calm waters. We began to troll, using a combination of tackle and live bait. Once the lines were set, it was time for a few beers and bagels. And then we waited. And waited. First Mate Mark offered up a few fishing tips, telling us to watch out for anything unusual. Birds, debris, splashing, anything that appeared out of place and caught our eyes might signal a school of hungry fish. After sighting God knows how many seagulls and a few porpoises, I, along with my colleagues I’m sure, began to lose faith in Mark’s theories. He did keep us entertained with his Tug stories.

Mike Thron and I, the cofounders of the Maryland Angler’s Network, decided to climb the Tuna Tower in order to get a better view and take a few pictures for the web site. The scenery from the tower was simply breathtaking. We could see other trolling ships and a school of porpoises off in the distance. Then Mike spotted a large sunfish. We signaled to Captain Johnny and we headed in that direction. We had no sooner begun to turn when everyone below began shouting. We had our first fish of the day on a line. Now we had to reel it in. Keith Hightower, an Operations Manager at US Internetworking, had drawn the first fish so he climbed into the Fighting Chair and began the task of landing his fish. After ten minutes of fighting, we could see the yellow fin of Tuna from the tower. Keith brought it close to the boat and our Mate hoisted it on board. It weighed in at 58 lbs.

After all that excitement, it was time for lunch and more beer. Later we spotted a marlin jump out of the water, but that was as close to catching one as we got. We did manage another bite but the fish broke the line after about three minutes of reeling. With the weather getting worse, we decided to head back. The time was 3:30 PM. Seven hours of fishing and only one Tuna to show for it. The ride back was rough. It rained hard and the waves increased quite dramatically. One of us almost got sick. I actually liked the rough ride. It was like a sixty-mile roller coaster. Upon returning to the Marina, the skies once again cleared up and we had the local fish cleaner take care of our tuna and divide it into six equal parts. I thanked everyone, took my share as well as Mike’s, and headed home. That tuna tasted delicious Sunday night when I grilled a few steaks. All in all, it was a fun trip. Next time, we’ll hopefully bring home more fish.

We here at The Maryland Angler’s Network, would like to extend our gratitude to the crew of The Rambler. Both Captain Johnny and First Mate Mark took great care of us out on the ocean. We whole-heartedly recommend anyone thinking of taking a fishing trip in the ocean to consider The Rambler. Contact Captain Glen Jackson at (410) 717-0371. o later we were delighted to find a group of boats who had corralled aa large school of trout. Capt. Jim read his electronics and told us exactly when to start jigging, and boy was he right! We were treated to some non-stop action of Trout and a few bluefish for almost 2 hours. We had a great day thanks to Capt. Jim and mate Bob. All total we had caught our limit of Rockfish,33 Troutthat were keepers (3 over 21")and about 2 dozen Bluefish. This was by far the best day I have ever had on the bay fishing for Trout. If you looking for some fun this fall give Capt. Jim a call 410-867-4944.

Copyright© 2003 The Maryland Angler's Network. All rights reserved.

Bass Pro Shops Outdoors Online: Home

We Support

Catch and Release